“ Good day Philippe, as someone who manages an international team: how challenging can the language barrier be? ”

Genessis P. a posé une question sur le thème La vie au sein de l’entreprise
à Philippe H. Responsable Performance Processus Finance - Safran Helicopter Engines, Safran Helicopter Engines (Safran)

03/10/2017
I am thinking about a possible career with the Safran-group in Germany, and I wondered how important is the level of German/French knowledge (I'm B1 in both languages)? Is it possible also to speak English? What has been for you the biggest challenge?
03/10/2017
Responsable Performance Processus Finance - Safran Helicopter Engines, Safran Helicopter Engines (Safran)

Hello
The working language dépends on internal processes. As far as I know, very few people speak french.
If you are dealing with customers, the area is huge: (from Danemark, Sweden ... to middle / east Europ). Therefore, English is absolutely necessary. If you focus on internal processes (finance / HR, ...) working language seems to be german and english with headquaters in France.
Are you English native spaker?

03/10/2017
Genessis P.

Hi Philippe,
First of all, thanks for your answer.
My first language is Spanish. English is my working language (I currently live in Germany, and used to live in Ireland, France and Sweden for my studies before). I saw an open position as Development Engineer (Entwicklungsingenieur, System und Test), hence my question to you about the languages.
Thank you once again.

03/10/2017
Responsable Performance Processus Finance - Safran Helicopter Engines, Safran Helicopter Engines (Safran)

Second part of your question is more difficult to answer. Understanding other people was not a major issue.The biggest challenge was not to be frustrated in working environments where you have to express yourself very precisely. You can miss some nuances you would use at once in your native language; in management matters this makes the difference with the team members.
But on the other hand, you can bring a lot to your team in sharing tour experience and your knwoledges in your own language.

03/10/2017

Als Entwicklungsingenieur würde Ich schon sagen, dass das Leben vielleicht ein bischen einfacher sein koennte. Je techniker das Thema, um so leichter ist es, sich zurecht zu finden.
Auf jeden Fall spannend in einer Fremdsprache zu arbeiten.

03/10/2017
Genessis P.

Danke für die Antworten!
Ich frage mich auch, was ist die größte Challenge für diese Position, als Entwicklungsingenieur? Ich habe die Beschreibung gelesen, aber ich möchte sicher sein, dass ich das Ziel verstanden habe.

03/10/2017

kann ich irgendwie helfen?

04/10/2017
Genessis P.

Hi Philippe,
Yes, what I would like to know is: as a Entwicklungsingenieur at Safran, how would you measure success? If perhaps you consider I should address this question to someone else, I would value your help (I already opened another question here in French, but I have not got any answer so far).
Thank you once again for answering my questions and your help.

04/10/2017

I'll try to find somebody able to answer you

06/10/2017
Genessis P.

Thank you very much for your help. I will be looking forward to reading your answer.

Safran

Safran est un groupe international de haute technologie opérant dans les domaines de la propulsion et des équipements aéronautiques, de l'espace et de la défense. Implanté sur tous les continents, le Groupe emploie plus de 92 000 personnes et occupe, seul ou en partenariat, des positions de premier plan mondial ou européen sur ses marchés. Le Groupe mène une stratégie continue de différenciation par l'innovation et s'engage de façon permanente dans des programmes de recherche et développement.
Safran est une société cotée sur Euronext Paris et fait partie des indices CAC 40 et Euro Stoxx 50.
Safran est classé dans le Top 100 Global Innovators de Thomson Reuters ainsi que dans le palmarès « Happy at work » des sociétés où il fait bon vivre. Le Groupe est en 4ème position du classement Universum des entreprises préférées des jeunes ingénieurs en France.

Visiter le site